Saturday 16 June 2012

164 - Litchfield National Park


Some of the Termite Mounds in LNP

We are slowly chewing away the things to do, here in Darwin. One of the major events was to visit Litchfield National Park. Now as per my previous post, the bride was in Coffs Harbour for my visit to LNP. Of course I would have liked the bride to join me, but that was just not possible due to the circumstances.

Apart from that there was a fair bit of walking down some very steep terrain which would have been an obstacle for the bride, so by going on my own, I was basically the forward scout, for when or if, we visit again prior to our departure from Darwin.

Now LNP was everything I expected. There are four major waterfalls and swimming holes as well as the skillions of Termite Mounds. There are a couple of other history sites to visit, however I am not a history buff. So my first stop on the leg was the Termite Mounds

These things go for miles

Now it was this visit that I came across the gazillions of back scratchers. It seems they have an itinerary of things to see, and hence they were there on mass. Next stop was Bluey Rockhole. This was a fantastic stop, however not as spectacular as what was to be seen further down the track.

Bluey Rockhole

More on the Blueys

And still more

A few Back Scratchers getting beaten up in the free flowing water

After Blueys Rockhole is Florence Falls. These falls are accessed by a walking track from Blueys, however to access the swimming area there is 135 steep, heart breaking stairs. Luckily I am on my own as the bride would have waved me good bye. The bride doesn't do stairs let alone steep ones.

Florence Falls

The swimming area at the bottom of 135 feeeeeerk'n stairs

Ahhhhhh very refreshing

After climbing back up those stairs, I headed back to the Val to venture forth to the remaining two falls Tolmer and Wangi. I had it on good authority that Wangi was the most popular, mainly because of the large swimming and picnic area, and the ease of access from the car park.  So I decided to miss Tolmer Falls and go straight to Wangi. As I had to back track, I decided to do Tolmer Falls on the way back to Berry Springs. If I had a fourby I could do the complete loop back to Berry Springs, via a very ordinary gravel road, however the Val couldn't handle the road. So it was off to Wangi Falls.

As I expected the car park was packed, with a gazillion back scratchers and tour buses. But what the "heck." I parked the Val, grabbed the back pack and headed to the falls...........most impressed.

Wangi Falls and swimming area

I could imagine these falls during the wet

Very pleasant for a swim

You can swim under the falls....yahooooo!!!!!

After a refreshing swim at Wangi, it was time to back track, and hence the last falls to visit was Tolmer Falls the last of the falls on the agenda. Now Tolmer falls is not a swimming area, just a viewing platform. From the car park was a 400 meter walk to the viewing platform. Yep another spectacular part of Mother Nature.

Tolmer Falls

Looking down the valley from Tolma Falls

All in all the trip was really worth the effort. For obvious reasons it would have been a more enjoyable day with the bride..............however we may visit together before we leave here, which we think, we may start to head east by no later than the end of June.

Stay toooooooned



2 comments:

Unknown said...

We loved Litchfield - the falls are magnificent and as you found out pretty easy to get to.
Loved the photos.

Cheers Shell

The Retro Roamers said...

Hi Guys

Thanks again for your comment.

All good fun LNP. The bride arrives back in Darwin tomorrow Wednesday 20th June, and may take another visit on our way out of Darwin.

Seems like you are having a great time in the USA.

Cheers

Paul