Monday 8 February 2010

52 - Canberra War Memorial

Okay I am not one for museums, villages, zoos, freak shows, or what ever else is out there to take money from me. However we just had to visit the war memorial, a must see in Canberra. As we haven't been to Canberra for a thousand years, we were not going to miss the opportunity....and me being the worlds biggest scrooge IT WAS FREE!!!!!!!!!

Even if it wasn't, we were going regardless. I guess also being called up in the ballot for the Vietnam war, and thank heavens I was medically unfit, (they recon I would talk to much in the jungle), I have mates that were called courtesy of the ballot, and a couple that served in the reg in Vietnam.

We entered the main hall, and all I can say is spectacular. If anybody is in Canberra you just cannot miss it.

The actual bridge of the HMAS Brisbane

Gee, you have a big one mister

The Bride

The Bride under a WW2 bomber

Now this is scary.

WW2 Spitfire

The boys filling up and ready for action

Japanese Zero

Another Spitfire

My dear old Dad, used to hang off one of these during WW2

A chopper out of Vietnam

Troop Carrier in Vietnam

The shows and the graphics was absolutely unreal. To get the real feel you just have to go there...words here just can't describe the event, the emotion and gut wrenching feelings you have for all Ozes who served, in all theatres war.

Coming next Cowra. Stay toooooooned

No comments: